Cancer has taken our beloved “Black Panther” away from us. Marvel Studio’s Black Panther fame actor Chadwick Boseman died of colon cancer at an early age of 43 years. Reportedly, he was diagnosed with stage-3 colon cancer, 4 years back and battled through all these 4 years as the condition progressed to stage-4. These 4 years were not easy for him either as he had undergone many surgeries and chemotherapy during this period. His death puts a highlight on the importance of early colon cancer screening.
Let us first discuss the condition to understand how regular screenings can save us. So, it’s a type of cancer that begins in the colon or large intestine, which is the final part of our digestive tract. It can happen at any age, even to young adults. Colon cancer typically begins inside the colon as a small non-cancerous clump of cells known as polyps. Gradually, some of the polyps turn into colon cancer.
The best way to prevent colon cancer is to adopt regular screening as a part of the lifestyle. This helps to identify the polyps at an early stage and removing them before they turn cancerous. Although, there are a variety of treatments available to treat & cure polyps which develop into cancer. But the baseline of treatment & cure lies in one thread, and that is early diagnosis. People who go for yearly cancer screenings test have the chance to get diagnosed at an early stage when the condition is treatable. If colon cancer reaches stage-3 or stage-4 (the final stage), the chances of survival decrease significantly.
Risk factors of colon cancer
- Age: Although colon cancer can happen at any age, typically people older than 50 years are usually diagnosed with it. But in recent years, the cases of younger people getting diagnosed with this condition are increasing.
- A previous history of polyps: People who have a previous history of colon polyps are more likely to develop colon cancer. Also, people who are dealing with chronic inflammatory colon diseases such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease are at high risk for the condition.
- Genetics: Few mutated genes pass through generations which can increase your risk of getting colon cancer significantly. However, the prevalence of inherited colon cancer is comparatively less.
- Choice of Diet: Regularly taking a high-fat & low-fibre diet leads to obesity which eventually increases the risk of colon cancer. Even people who eat a lot of processed food are at a high risk of developing colon cancer.
- Lifestyle: People who lead an inactive lifestyle are more likely to develop colon cancer. Also, people who smoke or drink alcohol have a high risk of developing this condition.
- Diabetes: It has been seen that people with diabetes are more likely to develop colon cancer.
Symptoms of Colon Cancer
The tricky thing with this condition is that it does not show any significant symptoms in the early stages. Only when cancer grows and spreads to other organs, which is stage-3 usually, it exhibits the symptoms.
However, here are a few common symptoms which people suffering from this condition generally experience:
- A continuous change in bowel habits
- Frequent diarrhoea and constipation
- Blood in stool or rectal bleeding
- Chronic gas, pain or cramps in stomach
- Fatigue and weakness
- Unexplained weight loss
Prevention of colon cancer
Regular screenings are the only way to stay aware & take precautionary measures to prevent the non-cancerous polyp to turn into colon cancer. People with a family history or risk factors must go for yearly screenings to stay aware of their health. Also, change in lifestyle and diet hugely decreases the chances of developing the condition. Eat more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains to boost the shield of immunity against this condition. Quit smoking & drinking and exercise regularly to help decrease the chances of developing colon cancer.
HMZ Laboratories, being a unique alliance between Hero Cycles, Millennium cancer centre & Zyagnum AG is highly committed to the cause of cancer elimination through early detection & screenings. They are the most enthusiastic & curious team who are not leaving any stones unturned in making new developments and discoveries in cancer research. One such recent advancement made by them is an innovative cancer diagnosis method which detects solid tumours using a ‘simple blood test’. The test makes use of a unique EDIM technology for accurate detection or diagnosis.
The EDIM technology is regarded as a ‘Biological Biopsy’ as it helps to examine the macrophages in the bloodstream itself. What makes the technique revolutionary is the quick & effective detection of solid tumours, even at stage 0. Connect with us to know more about this new cancer screening method that may help us to see the disease in a different light!