Breast cancer is a condition in which the cells of breast start to grow uncontrollably. Breast cancer can start to grow in any part of the breast. In India, breast cancer is the most common cancers in Indian Women. However, many people do not know that breast cancer can occur in both men & women. Although, it is very rarely found in men. In India, the biggest issue associated with this condition is the social taboo. Breast cancer can be cured if detected at an early stage but due to the social taboo associated, many women do not even discuss or seek treatment in the early stage.
Symptoms and Signs of Breast Cancer:
Signs of breast cancer can be different in different people and also there are many people who do not even experience any signs or symptoms at all.
However, some warning signs of breast cancer include:
- New lump in the breast or armpit
- Irritation in breast cancer
- Swelling or thickening in parts of the breast.
- Flaky skin in the nipple or breast area
- Pulling in of the nipple
- Pain in the nipple or breast area.
- Bloody or smelly discharge from the nipple
- Changes in the shape or size of the breast
Breast cancer symptoms in women can occur due to other conditions also and hence it is recommended to take screening test or speak with an expert oncologist.
What Are the Risk Factors for Breast Cancer?
The risk of breast cancer can be increased due to a number of factors. Some of these factors can be avoidable and some of these factors are not. However, leading a healthy lifestyle and regular health checkup can help to reduce the risk of developing breast cancer.
- Age: it has been seen that most of the breast cancer cases occur after the age of 50 years. Hence, it is recommended to get yearly screening after the 40s for women.
- Inactive lifestyle: Leading a physically inactive lifestyle increases the risk of getting breast cancer.
- Alcohol: Risk of breast cancer increases if women drink alcohol regularly.
- Reproductive health: women who get their menstrual periods before age 12 and starts menopause after age 55 expose to hormones for a longer period. This raises the risk of developing breast cancer. Also, women who have their first pregnancy after the age of 30 years or do not breastfeed have a higher risk of getting breast cancer.
- Obesity after menopause: Older women with obesity have a higher risk of getting breast cancer than others.
- Genetic: BRCA1 and BRCA2 are examples of mutated genes which women inherit and this may put them at higher risk of developing breast and other gynaecological cancers.
- Family history: Women with a family history such as where her mother, sister or first-degree relative have had breast cancer are at a greater risk of getting the condition.
Benefits With Early Detection of Breast Cancer:
Yearly screening helps to detect breast cancer at an early stage. Early detection not only increases the chances of survival but also decreases the chances of mastectomy or breast removal surgery. Early detection of breast cancer also helps to treat it with medicine and avoid undergoing chemotherapy.
Early detection can save a huge number of lives every year. Breast cancer can be life-threatening also if detected at a later stage. Hence, it is our responsibility to come forward and adopt yearly screening as a part of our lifestyle.
HMZ Laboratories, being a unique alliance between Hero Cycles, Millennium cancer center & Zyagnum AG is highly committed to the cause of cancer elimination through early detection & screenings. They are the most enthusiastic & curious team who are not leaving any stones unturned in making new developments and discoveries in cancer research. One such recent advancement made by them is an innovative cancer diagnosis method which detects solid tumours using a ‘simple blood test’. The test makes use of a unique EDIM technology for accurate detection or diagnosis.
The EDIM technology is regarded as a ‘Biological Biopsy’ as it helps to examine the macrophages in the bloodstream itself. What makes the technique revolutionary is the quick & effective detection of solid tumours, even at stage 0. Connect with us to know more about this new cancer screening tests that may help us to see the disease in a different light!